[TowerTalk] bottom mount rotor

To: <>
Subject: [TowerTalk] bottom mount rotor
From: "Jim Jarvis" <>
Date: Tue, 19 Sep 2006 07:31:20 -0400
You guys are missing the point, here.

If you put the rotor at the bottom of the tower, for easy
access, you DO NOT want a heavy, rigid mast.

What you want is something light enough that it's going to flex.

W3GM used thinwall irrigation tubing...2-1/2 inch diameter, I think.
100' of it was relatively light...and it rested on the rotor.  The
coupling to the topside mast was a thru-bolt.  Simple.

Gerry had a 3 element, full sized 40m beam...on a 48' boom, I think.
Normally, this beast would tear up rotors.  Yet, once he installed the
torque-tube, he never had a problem.  Tailtwisters worked.

Why?  The long run of irrigation tubing was a shock absorber.  A

If you use a rigid, heavy mast all the way down the tower, you add
the problem of the added weight and windload, and expense, with very little

As Dave Robbins pointed out...why not spend the money on a properly sized
rotor, topside, in the first place?