Re: [TowerTalk] Raise Tower Using Crane

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Raise Tower Using Crane
From: "Keith Dutson" <kdutson@sbcglobal.net>
Date: Tue, 19 Sep 2006 13:06:48 -0500
Thanks to all for your feedback.

The overwhelming majority say it is not wise to put this tower up in one
piece.  Having put up my 150 footer a stick-at-a-time, I do not want to do
this again.  Perhaps the best way is to go with sections that can be guyed
near the top.  This tower will be guyed at 37, 74, 111, 148 and 185 feet, so
the pieces would be 40, 40, 40, 40, and 30 feet.  This is actually a 190
foot tower with the mast going to 200 feet to avoid going over the 200 limit
for a non-lighted tower.  I will look for a 200+ foot crane so each piece
can be suspended from the top to facilitate lining up each section.

Tim Duffy K3LR asked if I am near any airport.  The answer is yes, 4.5 miles
(as the crow flies) from Hooks Municipal Airport.  It has a control tower
used to train ATC folks.  I did my flight training there and have flown over
the house many times.  The tower height limit is calculated to be 237.6 feet
based on the 1-in-100 rule.

73, Keith NM5G