Re: [TowerTalk] Recommendation for mast on bottom mount rotator

To: "'K8RI on TowerTalk'" <K8RI-on-TowerTalk@tm.net>,<towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Recommendation for mast on bottom mount rotator
From: "Gary Schafer" <garyschafer@comcast.net>
Date: Tue, 19 Sep 2006 23:25:38 -0500
Thanks Roger,

I agree with what you are saying. The torque equalization could happen only
if the wind was at the perfect angle.

If a single antenna, or one on each side of the mast, were getting hit with
wind that caused them to turn then the probability of them turning in the
same direction is high. With the wind at the "ideal angle" so that the
torque with the two antennas would balance, would give little rotational
torque with a single antenna (or two on the same side) to start with.

The antenna being offset on the mast by a couple of inches from dead center
is going to make little difference in torque balance.

In order to be effective the wind would have to be blowing directly at both
antennas at an angle that would cause little rotational torque on either
antenna, in which case there would be little rotational tendency to start
with. Otherwise both antennas would produce torque in the same direction.

73
Gary  K4FMX