Re: [TowerTalk] Electric Winches

To: <kd4e@verizon.net>, <TOWERTALK@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Electric Winches
From: "Richard M. Gillingham" <rmoodyg@bellsouth.net>
Date: Sun, 24 Sep 2006 20:20:18 -0400
I tilt my MA-550 over.  I built a version of a hinged boom to mast plate so
my 3 EL Steppir stays horizontal all the way down.  I can disassemble it (if
necessary) at ground level.  I built a secured cradle for the tower
(tubular) to settle into when fully tilted over, so there is no stress at
all on the base regardless of the wind.  If the wind is strong enough to
damage the tower, Then my house will have vacated the lot long before.

However, I do agree that a tilted over tower, unsupported by other than the
tilt cable, is more vulnerable to damage from strong winds than if it were
left upright.  The twisting moment on the base would be incredible.

As they say, YMMV.

Best luck to all
Gil, W1RG