[TowerTalk] Solar Power Question

To: "'TowerTalk List'" <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] Solar Power Question
From: "Doug Rehman" <rehman@surveil.com>
Date: Tue, 26 Sep 2006 18:42:07 -0400
OK, first the tower tie in- I need to get cable service to my house for
higher speed for my business (ADSL is maxed out at around 450K). My house is
about 700 feet from the cable line at the highway. I am concerned about
potential cable leakage (I enjoy my present quiet environment for weak
signal VHF/UHF), not to mention the potential for putting my signal into the
cable network.

I own an old farmhouse that is right at the highway (between my house and
the highway). I am contemplating getting the cable installed to the old
farmhouse and then running a wireless link back to the house. (I know fiber
would be ideal, but I don't have the free time available to deal with the
installation issues at the moment.)

The farmhouse doesn't have electrical service- it did at one time, just not
now. My plan is to put a marine battery in the farmhouse, charged by a solar
panel, running a UPS (in place of the little battery that is normally
installed in it). There is a 45 watt kit on eBay for around $220 shipped; I
would think that would be more than enough capacity to keep the marine
battery powering the UPS charged while powering a cable modem and wireless
link.

I know the easy way would be to have electrical service turned back on at
the farmhouse, but I'd rather avoid having to put in the necessary
electrical panel, etc. to replace the ancient fire hazard that is there now.
Besides, its one less risk of fire at the farmhouse by not having power
service there.

Anybody been there and done that? If so, any pointers or problems with my
plan?

BTW, it would cost around $650 to have the CATV brought all the way back to
my house, so the cost of the solar system and the wireless link is probably
very cost effective. Plus I keep the CATV 500 feet away.

Doug
K4DDR