Re: [TowerTalk] Lightning protection - AGAIN !

To: "'Martin Sole'" <msole@loxinfo.co.th>, <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Lightning protection - AGAIN !
From: "Gary Schafer" <garyschafer@comcast.net>
Date: Sun, 1 Oct 2006 22:52:55 -0500
You got it, snake oil!
The use of an independent down conductor on towers has been claimed by some
to prevent current flow in the tower. Fat chance! The tower has much lower
inductance than any down conductor you can hang on it. Even if there wasn't
an arc over between the down conductor and the tower (the chances of an arc
over are very high with no connection at the top) the current would be
induced into the tower by the close coupling of the down conductor.

A down conductor is a waste of money on a metal tower.
Down conductors are used on buildings successfully to provide a path where
there is no other metal conductor.

73
Gary  K4FMX