[TowerTalk] Belden and Commscope cables

To: towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: [TowerTalk] Belden and Commscope cables
From: Craig Clark <jcclark@wildblue.net>
Date: Tue, 03 Oct 2006 06:55:52 -0400
Allen

In the coax business, you'll find one company will make a product and
then the others will copy it. Belden's 9913 for instance has a number
of copycat's and they all meet Belden's specifications. Carol & ADC
are two that we use in lieu of Belden as they are not as expensive.

You do have to be more careful of the imports. With all due respect,
I have seen some pretty crappy RG8/213 come from a major US radio
chain and I suspect it was a far-east import.

We have looked at several LMR (one US and another European) clones
and they meet all of Times specifications.

I liken the debate to either buying Helman's mayonnaise or the store
brand: they are both the same product but one does not have the Helman's name.

I looked at E-bay this morning and there are a couple of pretty good
deals on Commscope LMR listed. They were pbly bought in huge lots and
are being sold for pennies on the dollar. One listing was for 1,000'
at $294....$0.294/ft is a pretty good price considering it retails
for over $0.80/ft.

73, Craig Clark, K1QX

RADIOWARE AND RADIO BOOKSTORE
PO  BOX 209