Re: [TowerTalk] MonstIR 40<>6M and a damaged tower questions.

To: <TOWERTALK@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] MonstIR 40<>6M and a damaged tower questions.
From: "K8RI on TowerTalk" <K8RI-on-TowerTalk@tm.net>
Date: Sat, 7 Oct 2006 00:44:13 -0400
From: "Jerrry BOYD" <exlasd@msn.com>
To: <towertalk@contesting.com>; <w3pt@comcast.net>
Sent: Friday, October 06, 2006 10:52 PM

>I would not recommend either 1 or 2.....if the cable snapped, collapsed the
>sections, and wiped out a stack of

Although I agree with the above sentiments versues one and two I'd bet you
could see some cracks.  It might take a dye penetrant test to do it though.
Still even if it passed a test like that which would be a substantial
undertaking on a tower like that, if it gave out once, I'd not trust it
again, particularly when you put that much work and money into it.

antennas I would not trust the tower at all.  I would bet that if you could
X-Ray the tower you would find a number of vertical cracks that might not be
visible to the human eye but dangerous nevertheless.  I had a US Tower HDX
572 in a salt air environment for about 8 years and had no problems.  Have
had other US Towers in drier environs up even longer than that with no
problems.  Bet the original cable had hidden damage, perhaps even some
strand cuts or what happened would have been very unlikely

As far as the cable...who knows, but each has a working strength and
ultimate strength. You only have to have the sections drop a few inches and
it's likely you'd reach the point of stretching  if not breaking the cables.
Once stretched they will never have their original strength.

N833R - World's oldest Debonair CD-2
www.rogerhalstead.com