Re: [TowerTalk] Insurance, and tower as "accessory structure"

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Insurance, and tower as "accessory structure"
From: "K8RI on TowerTalk" <K8RI-on-TowerTalk@tm.net>
Date: Sun, 8 Oct 2006 00:11:58 -0400

> Once I pointed that out, and provided documentation of the value,
> the loss, and the permit, Travellers paid.
>
> Then, they elected not to renew, at the end of the policy.
>
> Be careful what you wish for.

Jim makes a very important point.  We purchase insurrance to save money.
The insurance company sells us insurance to make money.  You don't have to
pass Econ 101 to see this equation doesn't balance.

We and the insurrance companies are playing the odds.  We purchase one
policy to cover any large unexpected costs. They sell a lot of policies
knowing that the odds are *normally* far in their favor that only a few
customers will have large claims.

However, due to a number of things, not the least of which have been some
very large national disasters the insurrance companies are doing all they
can to not have to make pay-outs on claims. They can do this a number of
ways.  One is education for fire prevention and saftety along with better
building standards. They can deny a claim on a technicality.  Another, is to
get rid of any customer who has had a claim.  Now if they outright phrased
it that way they'd have some regulatory problems, but they get buy it by
saying that customer is high risk.  So it behoves the customer to not make
any small claims.  Is getting a 500 dollar TV or stereo replaced worth not
having insurance afterwards?
To most of us the insurrance companies are cheating by labeling any one who
has a claim as high risk.  Certainly there are high risk individuals and
high risk areas.  I can see them not insuring people in New Orleans.  You
can't get flood insurrance if you live on a flood plain. That makes sense,
but to call a person a high risk because they've had one claim is more than
pushing it a little, but they do it and get away with it.

That big lightening rod in my back yard gets hit a lot. As I've said before,
it's an average of 3 times a year, but it was five this past summer and were
are getting major thunderstorms later in the year now.  Still with all those
hits I can point to not one bit of damage since finishing up the ground
system.  IF that tower took one of the so called super strikes and the house
burned down, they'd most likely pay, but I'd probably not be able to get
insurance as they'd call me a high risk even though the odds have not
changed enough to measure.

N833R - World's oldest Debonair CD-2
www.rogerhalstead.com