[TowerTalk] re; balun on a vertical

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] re; balun on a vertical
From: "Jim Jarvis" <jimjarvis@verizon.net>
Date: Mon, 09 Oct 2006 13:14:51 -0400
Yes, it matters.  Two reasons.  Read below:

<snip>
on a vertical with elevated radials, if there are "enough"
radials, does it really matter if the feedline acts as just one more
radial?

On my 40m vert, there are about 20 elevated radials, about 10'
above ground, and the feedline also comes out at about the 10'
level.  Since the feedline is about 200' long, is feedline radiation
really an issue in this case?  Dave N0RQ
<snip>

1) radiation from current on the elevated feedline will give your vertical
a pattern, and quite possibly high-angle response that you don't want.

2) Direct or nearby lightning strikes will induce current in the elevated
feedline, which would more readily couple to ground if it were ON ground.

I'd use a ('balun') ('un-un') ('rf choke') (pick your favorite language and
flavor)...and put the feedline on or under the ground.

If you insisted on flying the coax, I'd at least put an RFC ...or clip on
ferrites...
at the point where the feeder leaves the radial field.

One man's opinion.

N2EA