Re: [TowerTalk] Stringing dipoles?

To: TowerTalk@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Stringing dipoles?
From: bob finger <finger@goeaston.net>
Date: Wed, 11 Oct 2006 10:59:11 -0400
I have a cat line running between one of my towers (rope at 80 feet) and
a large Tulip Poplar (rope at 110 feet). The line itself is something
over 100 feet long.  It is 5/16 double dacron and has been up for three
years.  Rope runs over the top branches of the tree down to earth and
has a large log attached as a counterweight.

I hang two wire antennas from this cat line using pulleys attached to
the cat line.  One is an 80 meter delta loop and the other is a 160
meter Carolina Windom.  Works very well and keeps both antennas up in
the air nicely.

Trick is to insure that the cat line near the tower stays below the
elements on the yagi mounted just above the attachment point.  I have to
pull the cat line down some with the pulley rope to keep it clear of the
element ends, as not enough sag on its own.

I do plan to install another cat line between two towers spaced 120 feet
apart for additional wire antennas for sweepstakes weekends.  I will use
the same principal ie pulleys attached to the cat line to run wire
antennas up/down as needed.  Again, 5/16 double dacron line will be
used.  73 bob de w9ge