[TowerTalk] rebar cage

To: towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: [TowerTalk] rebar cage
From: Al nsixtez <n6tez@yahoo.com>
Date: Wed, 11 Oct 2006 21:09:35 -0700 (PDT)
Hi Scotty,
I've seen the method you mentioned- driving a piece of
re-bar into the dirt and tying the cage to it, used
many times. As an old retired contractor and building
inspector, please let me give you some suggestions.
The UBC requires that there be a "minimum cover" of 3"
for re-bar  in  "concrete cast against and permanently
exposed to earth". In other words there should be 3"
of concrete between the re-bar and dirt. The reason
for that is to keep the re-bar from rusting away. By
driving a piece of bar into the dirt and tying off to
the cage you provide a path for water, minerals and
air to get to your reinforcement thus accelerating it
oxidation (rusting). You might try using some "dobie"
blocks (name on the west coast, many be called
something else in your neck of the woods). They should
be available from your local building supply. Dobies
are basically small concrete blocks with a piece of
tie wire cast into them. You can then tie these blocks
to the bottom and sides of your cage to hold it off of
the dirt and center the cage in the hole. I hope this
information is useful.
Al N6TEZ

http://mail.yahoo.com