[TowerTalk] rebar DOES cause concrete spalling

To: "TowerTalk List" <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] rebar DOES cause concrete spalling
From: "FireBrick" <w9ol@billnjudy.com>
Date: Thu, 12 Oct 2006 06:54:54 -0500
That was my business. I was one of those guys, you saw on scaffolds hanging on
the side of
buildings repairing concrete, stone, and masonry.

I was a Chicago licensed masonry contractor.

Even on the sides of concrete buildings, rebar, too close to the surface would
adsorb
enough moisture through the concrete to rust.
Rust can cause rebar to increase it's size 11 fold.
That would cause the concrete to spall off, exposing more rebar etc. etc.

I don't know if that's empirical, actual, or just "been dere, made lots of
money fixing
it" evidence.

Now how long before the bottom of the concrete base spalled off to cause
problems
certainly depends on many factors and I can't predict.

But moisture contact with rebar will cause rust, and will cause concrete to
deteriorate.

Cat's Favorite Game - "Ha! Made you look!"

Bill H. in Chicagoland
webcams at http://24.14.49.4:8080
weather at http://hhweather.webhop.org