Re: [TowerTalk] Need Advice on Long Wire Antenna Materials

To: navydude1962@yahoo.com, TowerTalk@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Need Advice on Long Wire Antenna Materials
From: "Pat Barthelow" <aa6eg@hotmail.com>
Date: Sun, 15 Oct 2006 22:06:52 -0700
Hello Ed,

Lots of brain trust here to help you.  To tailor a good answer, some
questons:

1. What kind of operating targets do you want?
Local?  Stateside?  DX?   Europe?  Asia?

2. How high above ground are your tree supports?

3.  What is the intervening terrain/terrain cover like?

4.  Any favorite bands?

5. How hard is it to get to supports, for maintenance/repair of breakages
due to motion/chafing of trees, etc?  If difficult or impossible to do
regular repairs, then rigorous work will be needed to accomodate
chafing/fatigue due to tree motion.

A very long wire, and supports spanning, say, 1000 ft needs quite a bit of
tension to keep a reasonable ground clearance in the middle, probably  more
than a copper wire can handle.
Unless you are lucky, and spanning a deep canyon..    If so,
then a copper coated steel wire would be the next step, and can take quite a
bit more pull  (figure  though, only using 10 percent or so of breaking
strength of the wire used.  Even copperweld would have to be beefy, multi
strand to handle  a full 1000 ft span.

Do a google search using " Copper Wire Sag Table"  or similar  to get some
real numbers...

Good Luck...
Pat, AA6EG  aa6eg@hotmail.com