Re: [TowerTalk] Am I asking for trouble? - tower loading

To: towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Am I asking for trouble? - tower loading
From: K4SAV <RadioIR@charter.net>
Date: Mon, 16 Oct 2006 09:05:22 -0500
That UST TX472 would be seriously overloaded at 90 MPH. It's rated as
10.3 sqft at 70 mph. I didn't do the numbers, but I wouldn't be
surprised to find that it wouldn't, or maybe would just barely, stand
with nothing mounted on the top at 90 mph.

For 90 mph you will even have trouble with the HXD555 which is rated at
29.5 sq ft at 70 MPH. I have something similar but the wind speed rating
for my area is 70 mph. As an example, HDX555 tower, 3 element SteppIR at
57 ft, XM240 at 66 ft, the tower maxes out at 79 mph with wind gusts to
101 mph. A DOM mast rated at 85ksi is still below its rating for this
situation. But still you are overloaded. If you require city approval
this may be a problem.

Mounting the SteppIR above the XM240 is actually worse because the
SteppIR is slightly more wind loading that the XM240.

If you remove the top antenna, use HDX555, SteppIR at 57 ft, and a 10 ft
mast, the HDX555 tower maxes out at 96 mph with wind gusts to 123 mph.

It's time to do some serious looking at alternate tower and antenna
configurations.

For some free software to make these calculations go to
http://www.arrl.org/qexfiles/

and download the file labled TRANVITY.ZIP.  Also download the following
pdf file which gives some good explanations of the calculations.

http://www.arrl.org/qex/1123.pdf

There are also some other programs available for only a few bucks to do
these calculations.

Jerry, K4SAV