Re: [TowerTalk] N or UHF?

To: "K8RI on TowerTalk" <K8RI-on-TowerTalk@tm.net>,<TOWERTALK@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] N or UHF?
From: "Clint Talmadge" <unclebudd@bellsouth.net>
Date: Mon, 16 Oct 2006 16:56:51 -0500
I will echo what Dan Hearn has said with a little more detail.  In an N
connector the center pin is positioned in the connector by the center
conductor.  When the cable gets cold the copper contracts and draws the center
pin out of the mating connector.   While working at a small company in New
Hampshire, we ran a cable to the roof for an antenna to provide clock signals
for a system we were developing.  Every morning the clock would not see the
antenna.  We would trouble shoot it to the cable, take it out and replace it
and everything would work fine.  Next morning, same thing!  Someone noticed we
had been "fixing" it using "yesterday's" cable.  When we tried to figure out
how a cable could heal itself overnight, we came upon the temperature
difference of the cable run outside the wall in the New Hampshire winter and
one that had spent the night coiled up in the warm shop on the floor.
If memory serves me, NO1V, Ernie Cote was the one who finally deduced the
problem.

PL-259's center pin is fixed to the shell so cannot move in and out. Go with
PL-259's

Clint - W5CPT