Re: [TowerTalk] 75 meter loop

To: towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] 75 meter loop
From: K4SAV <RadioIR@charter.net>
Date: Wed, 18 Oct 2006 23:36:25 -0500
You could move the inverted vee to 125 ft and pick up 2 to 3 dB.

A vertical loop with 102 ft horizontal wires and 42 ft vertical wires,
with the top wire at 80 ft (resonates at 3.55 MHz), fed at the center of
one side will give some improvement in low angle signals, about 7 dB
improvement at 5 degrees elevation, 4.6 dB at 10 degrees elevation, 2.6
dB at 15 degrees elevation, and the break even point is at 22 degrees.
The inverted vee will win big time for signals above 22 degrees. No free
lunch, sorry. The feed point impedance of this loop will be about 50
ohms.  The bad part is that it has narrow bandwidth, about 110 KHz for
less than 2 to 1.

If you feed this loop at the top or bottom, your inverted vee will beat
it by about 1 dB for low angle signals.

Note: The ratio of horizontal wire length to vertical wire length is
what makes the feedpoint impedance 50 ohms. If you make the loop square
the feedpoint impedance goes up and you lose some low angle gain.

An inverted vee at 95 feet is a good antenna.  It' hard to beat it with
a simple antenna without going higher.  Of course there is always the
OB2-80.

Jerry, K4SAV