[TowerTalk] Help with 80 meter temp antenna

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] Help with 80 meter temp antenna
From: "Stone, Gary R." <Gary.Stone@va.gov>
Date: Thu, 19 Oct 2006 10:29:31 -0500
Greetings,

Well, I am thinking of putting up a temporary (due to my situation)
better antenna for 80 meters.  I hope to do this for the end of November
CW contest. I am trying to finish up some zones on 80 meters.

What I have is an 80 foot tower (and I don't want to shunt feed the
tower due to some other equip mounted on the tower and I would be afraid
of frying the components - like my wireless Internet and I want it more
temporary due to my landscape considerations).

1- I am thinking about a half-wave wire sloper and if hung from the top
of the tower I could get a pretty decent angle?  (drawback here is my
house is just about in the way of a good direction for most of the 80
meter targets I need for my WAZ 80 meters - but this could be workable.

2- I could sting up a temporary vertical wire with 40 or more radials
laid on the ground.  To do this I could string a rope from the top of
the tower to a large tree and drop the vertical down from the rope?

3- I could maybe make a 3 element wire V beam and again hang that from
the rope between my tower and the tree?

I am in Texas and several of the zones I need on 80 meters are in the
same general direction (18,22,23, 24,26) so a 2 element could split the
difference some.  And I could use it one direction (toward pacific and
asia) for half the contest and switch the reflector and director for
pointing toward Europe and Africa for the rest?

So, any input appreciated.  Especially any experience with a wire
vertical beam - or a wire V beam would be appreciated.  Could I drop 3
vertical elements (1/4 wave each) off the rope between the tree and the
tower to get gain?  Would they have to be three quarter waves (I would
have only a max of about 70 feet with some expected droop from the rope
off the 80 foot tower.

Ideas appreciated.

Gary, N5PHT