Re: [TowerTalk] re coax jumpers help

To: wa3afs@inav.net, <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] re coax jumpers help
From: Jim Lux <jimlux@earthlink.net>
Date: Fri, 20 Oct 2006 11:30:00 -0700
At 12:22 PM 10/20/2006, wa3afs@inav.net wrote:
>I have been running 600-700 watts into RG8X regularly for many
>years.  160M-10M.  My coax runs now exceed 150
>feet to my phased 160M verticals and 40M 4-square.  Never had a
>problem with the power handling in the RG8X.
>(It should be noted that I operate my antennas with low SWRs.)

And this would match with the mfrs data (which is probably a bit
conservative)... The loss will go down as the square root of
frequency, so at 2 MHz, it's less than half the dissipation for the
10MHz number, so the power rating would be roughly doubled.

not only that, but presumably you're not running RTTY or FM at 700 W
with 100% duty cycle.  CW is probably around 50% Duty Factor,
doubling the rating again.  Kind of depends on the thermal time
constants, but that's a much more complex calculation.

Jim