[TowerTalk] Unguyed Guyed Tower

To: TowerTalk@contesting.com
Subject: [TowerTalk] Unguyed Guyed Tower
From: kb9cry@comcast.net (Phil Camera)
Date: Tue, 24 Oct 2006 13:21:42 +0000
I think you're reading the Rohn specs incorrectly.
For a 70 mph wind here's the following:
No Ice - 55 ft height
Rohn 45  0 sf
Rohn 55 4.0 sf
Rohn 65 24.4 sf

With 1/2" Ice -55 ft height
Rohn 45 0 sf
Rohn 55 0 sf
Rohn 65 25 sf

I think that if you want to eliminate guys then you should put up a real Self
Supporting tower, like a Trylon or AN Wireless.  I don't understand how the
guys got in the way if you used a tram on your recent project?  Unless.... you
didn't run the tram wires out far enough from the base of the tower so that
everything is above the guys?  Or, maybe you didn't have a tall enough mast
above the attachment point of the antenna.  But, I agree with making things
easier as we get older.

Phil  KB9CRY