Re: [TowerTalk] 80m vertical: reality check

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] 80m vertical: reality check
From: "Tom McAlee" <tom@klient.com>
Date: Sat, 28 Oct 2006 16:06:06 -0400
I have 2 full-size 80m verticals using tubing from Texas Towers.  The
current versions have been up for 1.5 years with no problems.  But, they are
the third version.  The first 2 attempts didn't go so well!

As they are now, they start at 2.125" and telescope to 1.25".  They are 6'
sections with several of the first 3 sizes doubled up.  They are guyed at 5
levels (every 12') with Phyllistran to posts 43' out, guys attached to the
top of the posts that extend 3' out of the ground (makes mowing the yard
easier)

These verticals cannot be "walked up" as you would do with a smaller
vertical.  I used a 60' bucket truck to build them 12' at a time.  I found a
local sign company that charges $55/hour and it took about 1/2 hour per
vertical.

Mistakes made in the first two versions that were destroyed on windy days:
- telescoping up to too small a size that couldn't withstand the vibration
in the wind and broke off
- not having enough guy levels (without enough of them, you can't tighten
them much because tightening them will buckle the tubing without more guys
below to prevent that)
- not having the guys out far enough (tried to be cheap on the Phyllistran,
bad idea)

73,
Tom, NI1N

----- Original Message ----- > From: towertalk-bounces@contesting.com on