Re: [TowerTalk] Tilting large towers

To: "TowerTalk" <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Tilting large towers
From: "Al Williams" <alwilliams@olywa.net>
Date: Sun, 29 Oct 2006 11:39:39 -0800
Some readers may be confused because some postings refer to using a jack
begin tilting the tower while other postings refer to using a pry bar.  The
LM470 tower tilt raising fixture is a special case in that it has pivot ears
at the top of the 8' high raising fixture.  If these are used as the pivot
point, then the force used to begin must be horizontal between the raising
fixture and the tower.  If the bottom holes in the tower and raising fixture
are used as the pivot point then the force used to begin must be vertical.

The LM470 must initially be raised to the vertical position using the bottom
holes.  Then after it is vertical the raising fixture top ear holes may be
be used rather than the bottom holes.  I was apprehensive about restringing
the tilt cabling and relying on the winch brake system to hold the tower on
its initial application.  Besides that the holes were so badly misaligned
that I decided not to use the top ear holes.  Further the better
equalization of tower weight when using the holes up about 8' on the tower
is offset by there is no pulley advantage when using that method.

k7puc