[TowerTalk] 2 Meter Antenna Mounted on a 160 Meter Vertical

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] 2 Meter Antenna Mounted on a 160 Meter Vertical
From: "Phil Clements" <philc@texascellnet.com>
Date: Wed, 1 Nov 2006 10:57:13 -0600
I have a 160 meter ground plane antenna. It consists of 200 feet of Rohn 25,
with insulators at the 60 foot level. I want to put a 2 meter vertical
antenna (DB-224) atop the tower. Heliax will be run from the DB-224 down to
the 60 foot level on the tower.

I need ideas on how to decouple the 2 meter feed line across the insulators
so that 160 meter operation will not be affected. I presume some sort of
choke can be wound out of RG-8 cable on a PVC form. The question is the
construction of such a choke. How many turns on a 6 inch piece of PVC pipe
will be required, etc.? What other methods have been successfully employed
that you have heard of or tried?

Thanks in advance for all advice!

(((73)))
Phil Clements, K5PC