[TowerTalk] Declination Question (True North)

To: <TOWERTALK@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] Declination Question (True North)
From: <john@kk9a.com>
Date: Thu, 2 Nov 2006 02:11:20 -0000
I'm doing some antenna work in Aruba and I would like to properly align my
antenna north using a compass, not by staring into the Sun or some other
star, etc.  If I calculated this properly the declination for this country
is -9 degrees, 40 minutes.  I think this means that when I point my compass
north, I am really looking -9 degrees, 40 minutes.  So, if I set my rotator
to 350 degrees and then aim my antennas north using my compass, will my
antennas be aimed at true north when I turn the rotator to 0 degrees?  I
don't want to compensate incorrectly and be off 20 degrees.

73,
John  P40A