Re: [TowerTalk] re Soldering PL259s -- What I do

To: "Rob Atkinson, K5UJ" <k5uj@hotmail.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] re Soldering PL259s -- What I do
From: Tim Duffy K3LR <k3lr@k3lr.com>
Date: Mon, 06 Nov 2006 23:05:34 -0600
I have used this with LMR400  and every RG-8 like cable I can find with great
success as
well.
I even have used this method with 9913, but I have had bad luck with that cable
for other
reasons.

I just tape around the foil with Scotch 88. I also make sure the foil is clean
at the top
of the dielectric.

I do not do anything with the holes. You cannot back the shell off of the body
to even
look at them.

I use Vapor wrap right on the connector, then 3 wraps of 88 tape for water
proofing.

This attachment method works. The fact that the shield is well soldered for 360
degrees
around the connector and no chance that the dielectric is melted makes for a
perfect
connector.
In multi multi contesting, one bad connector will trash the entire system. One
bad shield
connection will kill us!
With over 20 Yagis in the air, 21 verticals and 10 Beverages, some up for 14
years and no
failures, this really works!

73!
Tim K3LR