Re: [TowerTalk] Interference to CO Alarm

To: "'Jim Lux'" <jimlux@earthlink.net>, <k2qmf@juno.com>,<towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Interference to CO Alarm
From: "J. Gordon Beattie, Jr., W2TTT" <w2ttt@att.net>
Date: Thu, 9 Nov 2006 22:32:27 -0500
I had a similar problem when the electricians wired up my CO detector in the
house and it was triggering because of a loose ground wire at one of the
detectors in the system.  In my house, they are all hardwired AC units with
individual 9V batteries that would all go off when any one would trigger!
It was great!  Nice calm QSO in my new shack/office on a cool spring night
with the windows open and all the neighbors outside getting some air and the
tones would sound LOUDLY and the voice announcements would scream, "FIRE!
FIRE!  FIRE!".  This would in turn, start the dog howling and he normally
doesn't even bark!  This was great in a neighborhood of 40 x 100 ft lots
with most of my neighbors convinced that I was frying their electronics and
their bodies!  I really didn't need the attention!
It was fixed pretty rapidly (15 minutes) when I complained to the
electrician that something wasn't right.  Most of the 15 minutes involved a
recounting of the problem situation, lots of laughter and a cup of coffee.

Vy 73,
Gordon Beattie, W2TTT
201.314.6964
w2ttt@att.net