Re: [TowerTalk] Is the Atlas MT-1 Mobile Ant Transformer Good?

To: "Tower Talk List" <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Is the Atlas MT-1 Mobile Ant Transformer Good?
From: "Jim Brown" <jim@audiosystemsgroup.com>
Date: Fri, 10 Nov 2006 09:42:49 -0700
On Thu, 09 Nov 2006 14:53:44 +0800, kd4e wrote:

>The old ATLAS Broadband Transformer MDL MT-1
>purports to step up a mobile antenna to 50 Ohms
>from the common low mobile antenna impedance.

DX Engineering sells a version of this that is an autotransformer
using coils wound on ferrite cores. I own two, and used one for a
while when I was mobiling actively. I found that it worked well to
transform my antennas to an impedance that my rig could load more
easily -- BUT I also found that it got warmer than I thought it
should have after I transmitted much. I dont recall if I was
running CW or SSB, but it was a 100 watt radio. Certainly not hot
from the sense of failing. But the fact that it was warm indicates
that its burning some power.

I dont have the capability to do meaningful measurements on it, so
I cant comment further on its efficiency.

73,

Jim K9YC