Re: [TowerTalk] Vertical Vs Horizontal a different take

To: TOWERTALK@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Vertical Vs Horizontal a different take
From: kd4e <kd4e@verizon.net>
Date: Sat, 11 Nov 2006 20:20:49 +0500
 > K8RI on TowerTalk wrote:
> Antennas have always remained some what of a mystery to most of us which is
> probably why we like to experiment with them.  It's also where we can
> *sometimes* get more return for the effort and money than any where else in
> the station.
>
> Over the last 45 years I've tried a lot of different antennas from my first
> inverted-V in 1961 to the current installation.  Along the way I've  had
> big antennas and little antennas. I had them high and low and even a contest
> style station with the big KLMs on separate towers.
>
> I will add that I live 43:37N which is half way up the lower peninsula of
> Michigan.  That means the bands get fairly quiet for QRN this time of year.
> 75 and 40 are currently about S1 or S2 for background noise QRN and QRM
> combined.

It would be instructive to hear from Hams in other parts
of the country re. regional and/or seasonal QRN.

We *may* be moving from a little north of Tampa to
SE-AL, south-GA, or SW-SC in the near future.

Other than the expected QRN from proximity to cities,
industrial areas, and too-close neighbors are there
other patterns, positive and negative?

Any observations as to the potential impact of soil types
and/or proximity to wet areas (swampland, salt water, fresh
water lakes & ponds, running water).  The guess is that these
factors impact conductivity for the discharge of human and
natural QRN and ground static buildup (such as is seen in
blowing snow and sand).

Other environmental elements to consider, or am I putting
too fine a point on QRN avoidance?

--

Thanks! & 73,
doc, KD4E