[TowerTalk] winch available to a good home

To: "TowerTalk List" <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] winch available to a good home
From: "FireBrick" <w9ol@billnjudy.com>
Date: Thu, 16 Nov 2006 05:45:30 -0600
Want to offer this to Hams first before putting it on eBay.

I got two of these a while back, both used.
I used one on my old Wilson 55' rotating tower with a Sommer Beam & 30 meter
rotatable dipole.
I power it with a Milwaukee HoleHawg 1/2" right angle drill which turns
approx 350 rpm.
http://www.qsl.net/w9ol/ThernWinch.zip

The Winch is a Thern 472. Thern make high quality lifting equipment.
http://www.thern.com/
The Winch is a 2000lbs LIFTING rated winch with 'Hypoid' (think that's the
word) gearing so it stays in place with no locking/latching mechanism.

Note: This is 2000lbs LIFTING, not like the common winches rated for PULLING
only.
Turns ratio is approx 23:1, yep that's right, now you see why I put a drill
on mine. While it's easy to crank, it takes a LOT of turns.

This winch has a 3/8" bolt welded to the turn shaft to accept a drill chuck.
I bought it that way.
The unit did not come with a hand crank, it's available through Thern or
make your own.

I've included 3 pictures in a zip file.
Two views of the for sale winch and one shot of my winch/HoleHawg drill in
place on my tower.
(Yes, that's a clear heavy duty clear plastic cover over the drill.)
Home Depot sells HoleHawgs, I saw a version in a Harbor Freight flyer last
month.

The for-sale winch shows the mounting bracket in a horizontal position which
can be changed by removing the 4 nuts and rotating the bracket 45 degrees.

This sucker is heavy. It's just short of 31 lbs. Cast drum, and oil bath
filled gear assembly.
So consider the weight, if you wish shipping which I can do via UPS.

Asking $200 plus actual UPS shipping charges, PayPal is preferred.  Shipping
to CONUS only.

708 867 4731
can't guarantee a quick phone call back, but I check email frequently which
is a
preferred method of communication

On a tombstone: "I TOLD YOU I WAS SICK"

Bill H. in Chicagoland