Re: [TowerTalk] Copper wire prices

To: Peter Dougherty <w2irt@comcast.net>, towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Copper wire prices
From: Jim Lux <jimlux@earthlink.net>
Date: Thu, 16 Nov 2006 12:51:43 -0800
At 08:23 AM 11/16/2006, Peter Dougherty wrote:
>At 06:50 AM 11/16/2006, you wrote:
>
> >I was at Home Depot yesterday and the spool of 500' 14 gauge
> >insulated, solid, is now going for $39.99.  Stranded is about $5
> >more for the spool.  I was paying about $12.99 for the same spool
> >(solid) a year or two ago.  I'm glad I bought a bunch.  And I hope
> >it goes back down eventually.
>
>You think *that's* bad, I'm putting in a halo-ground system. A 200'
>spool of #4 Solid is $178, and I need 2 of them!. I'm holding off
>till Spring and hoping it drops a little by then.

And now you can see why aluminum might not be such a bad
alternative.  Prices on aluminum haven't gone up as much as for
copper (in proportion).  Granted, it's a bit trickier to bond than
copper (I don't think thermite will work with aluminum like it does
with copper <grin>).

Aluminum has a conductivity about 65% that of copper, so you need to
buy more, on a volume basis.  But it's also a LOT less dense (2.7 vs
9), so you're buying 1/3 the weight. Even if copper and aluminum were
the same price per pound, you'd be a lot better off with aluminum.
Copper is about $3/lb and aluminum about $1.20/lb (in huge
quantities.. but the ratio will be roughly constant for finished
wire/bar).  There's a reason big power lines are aluminum and not copper.

There is *speculation* that copper prices will fall next year, so you
might be able to do some options trading to get tomorrows price today
(plus a premium). (aluminum prices also fell yesterday)  But hey..
are we commodity speculators or antenna builders.

Jim W6RMK