[TowerTalk] Ground - at base of tower or entrance to house?

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] Ground - at base of tower or entrance to house?
From: "Jim McDonald" <jim@n7us.net>
Date: Wed, 22 Nov 2006 18:14:46 -0600
I got such good answers on my question about plugs/sockets for control
lines, I'll press my luck and try one more question.

I'm reinstalling my US Tower HDX-589 near Chicago.  The tower is 48' from
the house and 6' from a large, metal storage building.  I have a 4"
electrical PVC in a trench from the tower to the house, with the PCV coming
up next to the house about 10' from the two power line ground rods.

Along the PVC in the 18" trench is a ground wire attached to 8' ground rods
with Cadwelds, and I have an 8' ground rod next to the tower base (a couple
more with more buried wire, rods, and Cadwelds to be added later) and
another next to the house. I intend to connect the ground rod next to the
house to the power line ground rods. The shack will be in the basement, with
the radio next to the wall with the ground rod a foot or so from the house.

The question:

Should I do as I had last time in AZ, and have ICE lightning arrestors on
the coax cables and control lines at the base of the tower or should I have
the well-known single-point ground on the outside wall of the house.  It
seems better to me to have it at the base of the tower since the lines from
that point to the house are buried.

I am appreciative of the experience and quality of responses on this
reflector.  Thanks, Steve, for doing it.

Jim N7US