[TowerTalk] HF Vertical....data....

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] HF Vertical....data....
From: "Jim Jarvis" <jimjarvis@verizon.net>
Date: Sun, 26 Nov 2006 21:33:13 -0500
TT:

I snipped the exchange, below...but have had an R8 as a utility antenna,
and a full size 40M GP located 10 wavelengths away, at approximately the
same height.  The answer...on 40m, at least...is that using a quick
switching
scheme to make a/b comparisons....the difference was insigificant.  Well
more
than swamped out by arrival angle differences over time.  Sometimes the R8
was
louder, sometimes the full sized GP with 4 sloping radials was louder.

Both antennas were .5 lambda above ground.  There were trees involved,
so definitely some uncontrolled variables.

-0-

Mike, any idea on how your R8 performs vs. another vertical, say a ground
mounted type with radials?  I think that would be very interesting.
Gedas, w8bya@mchsi.com

I have a couple of R8 Verticals that are elevated and they work pretty well.
The do not require any radials.  Most other verticals will require radials.
Even the BigIR requires radials.   Mike W0MU
-0-

Are there differences in efficiency and vertical angle response?  yes.
But the answer to the comparison question is...close enough that you'll
need real instruments and an antenna range to tell.

-0-

THAT SAID.... I just came back from a contest weekend working with my
old 3 el SteppIR.... I LIKE the tuneable antenna idea.  I think maybe
a biggIR mounted atop some rohn 25, to provide an 80/160 tuneable
solution might be .. interesting.  Taking the hy-tower idea to new....
ah, lengths.

N2EA