Re: [TowerTalk] Verticals and Raised Radials

To: towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Verticals and Raised Radials
From: <donovanf@starpower.net>
Date: Thu, 30 Nov 2006 19:25:53 -0500 (EST)
Pat,

I've used both elevated feedpoints and feedpoints near the ground with elevated
radials and both work ok.

If you use "gull wing radials" (i.e., base near the ground with elevated
radials), you'll need to extend the length of the vertical radiator and the
resonant radials by a few feet to achieve resonance because part of the
vertical and the sloped radials behave as a continuation of your transmission
line instead of as a radiator or as radials respectively.

Don't expect miracles with this arrangement.  When I replaced my elevated
radials with 30,000 feet of ground radials, the performance of my 160M 4-square
antenna improved dramatically.  Just ask anyone who's heard the improved
signals from my 4-square antenna over the last year.

With antennas -- as with so many other things -- there's no free lunch...

73!
Frank
W3LPL