Re: [TowerTalk] Locking a Turnbuckle...??

Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Locking a Turnbuckle...??
From: <>
Date: Fri, 1 Dec 2006 16:33:39 -0500 (EST)
Galvanized locking nuts for turnbuckles can be purchased from marine supply (
not sailboat!) wholesalers, typically supplied in pairs (a left hand and a
right hand nut).   It can be difficult to purchase small quantities from
wholesale suppliers if you're not a regular customer.

Someone recommended McMaster-Carr; however, their left hand threaded nuts are
plated and will not fit over galvanized turnbuckle threads.

My recommendation is that you stick with the standard practice in the  T O W E
R  industry:   use a safety wire in a figure 8 configuration.   Turnbuckle
locknuts are not a generally accepted solution in the tower industry.