Re: [TowerTalk] Grey PVC Loading Coil

To: "Dan Zimmerman N3OX" <>,
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Grey PVC Loading Coil
From: Jim Lux <>
Date: Tue, 05 Dec 2006 14:43:52 -0800
At 01:01 PM 12/5/2006, Dan Zimmerman N3OX wrote:
> > After experiencing this failure, I'm not sure its the best material to wind
> > a coil around.
>Well, it seems from all the advice I've recieved that PVC is
>*marginal* as a coil form.  I've gone and built the thing anyway; did
>it last night, but  since I'm running low power and other system
>losses are more detrimental, I think it will work OK in this

I'd say that PVC is a fine material for coil forms, if it works.  My
experience with using it has been generally good, but unpredictable
(that is, every once in a while you get a piece of junk).  It's also
not the best structural material if it gets warm.  There are other
inexpensive plastics that might be a good choice.