Re: [TowerTalk] 160 and 80 verticals

To: "Tower Talk List" <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] 160 and 80 verticals
From: "Jim Brown" <jim@audiosystemsgroup.com>
Date: Thu, 07 Dec 2006 16:54:42 -0800
On Thu, 07 Dec 2006 10:04:33 -0800, Tom Osborne wrote:

>Can I use
>the same ground radial system for 2 verticals?  I want to tie off an
>inverted 'L' for 160 and an 80 meter vertical at the same spot.  Will it
>hurt anything to feed them separately and use the same radial system?

No problem at all, Tom. In general, with radials on/in the ground, more
and longer is better, but neither is critical.

You could also probably feed both verticals from the same coax if they
each resonant on their respective bands. They will act just like a fan
dipole -- that is, the power will go to the resonant antenna, with very
little de-tuning by the other antenna. I plan to do that here once I get a
few more rigging points in trees.

Jim Brown K9YC