To: towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] TowerTalk Digest, Vol 48, Issue 47
From: "Donald Chester" <k4kyv@hotmail.com>
Date: Tue, 12 Dec 2006 21:08:48 +0000

There IS a discussion in the literature about this. Given that the bird strikes occur at night, local scavengers might haul away some fraction of the carcasses.

Then the dead bird just becomes part of Mother Nature's food chain. Nothing is wasted. The demise of the bird allows another species to thrive. It's a process that has been going on for thousands of millions of years, long before birds ever evolved from dinosaurs.

My tower is 127' tall. I may have seen maybe one dead bird in the vicinity, in the 25 years it has been up. No guarantee that it died colliding with the tower.

I'm sure many more birds collide with the complex latticework of the towers that hold up high tension power lines, than with 200' radio towers. Some of those huge power line towers are a lot higher than my radio tower or most cellular phone towers.

So are they going to require the dismantlement of the power grid too?

Don k4kyv

Don k4kyv

WIN up to $10,000 in cash or prizes ? enter the Microsoft Office Live Sweepstakes http://clk.atdmt.com/MRT/go/aub0050001581mrt/direct/01/