Re: [TowerTalk] Follow up on AM interference

To: "'Towertalk'" <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Follow up on AM interference
From: "Dale Martin" <kg5u@hal-pc.org>
Date: Wed, 13 Dec 2006 00:40:06 -0600
ue, 12 Dec 2006 13:47:50 -0800, Tom Osborne wrote:

> >The first post said that I am having problems with AM broadcast
> >interference with my 80 meter dipole that was never there before.
>
> Hi Tom,
>
> Can you identify the AM broadcast station(s) involved? These
> products are usually a mix, and can occur outside your own
> site. At my first QTH in WV, I had an intermod product from
> 930 kHz (5 kW) and 1470 kHz (also 5 kW) on 3870 kHz. The two
> transmitters involved were within about a mile of each other,
> and within about 1.5 miles of me. I knew the chief engineers
> of both stations, and worked for one of them briefly as coop
> engineering student.
> We never did track down the cause.
>
> Jim Brown

Some years back, the Texas DX Society 2m repeater started getting severe
interference from a commercial repeater in town (Houston).  We found out who
it was by the CW ID and our repeater guy talked with their people.

It turned out that the interference went away when the tech swapped out the
power supply.  Not that an AM station is likely to swap out a p/s based on a
ham's suggestion, but maybe it will cause them to take a closer look for
spurs or whatever on their output.

73,
Dale, kg5u