Re: [TowerTalk] guy wires

To: towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] guy wires
From: Ian White GM3SEK <gm3sek@ifwtech.co.uk>
Date: Thu, 14 Dec 2006 17:04:14 +0000
VE2RYY wrote:
>I wonder if anyboy ever used famers fence galvinized wires for ground
>radials??? Copper is so expensive  that I was thinking using this kind
>of wire for a radial system on 160 meters....
>would appreciate any comments..

The zinc coating will be fine... but only for as long as it lasts, and
then you're down to bare steel which is useless. So the answer depends
entirely on the chemistry of your soil.

At this QTH, a previous occupant had kindly left several half-buried
test samples, which proved that galvanized wire won't work here.

--
73 from Ian GM3SEK