Re: [TowerTalk] guy wires

Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] guy wires
From: Ian White GM3SEK <>
Date: Fri, 15 Dec 2006 07:48:54 +0000
John Kuklewicz N7ZN wrote:
>With a reasonably large number of radials the current in each radial is
>relatively low, so the smaller gauge and added resistance of steel does
>not seem to make a big difference.
To clarify what I said earlier, the skin effect means that the RF
current flows initially in the zinc plating, which is quite a good RF
conductor. The steel core is not involved unless (or until) the zinc
dissolves away - and then, the RF resistance will increase markedly
because of the magnetic properties of steel.

You can always afford to lose a few individual radials if you have large
numbers of them, but chemical corrosion would be liable to affect them
all together.

As I said: if your soil chemistry allows it, then galvanized wire will
be fine. It also depends how long you intend to stick around at that

73 from Ian GM3SEK