[TowerTalk] 80m vertical

To: <>
Subject: [TowerTalk] 80m vertical
From: <>
Date: Sat, 16 Dec 2006 14:06:04 -0500
The concrete base is not a good insulator.  You could drain any static
charges by using a hairpin coil match or a large inductor.

John KK9A

From: K9IL
Date: Sat, 16 Dec 2006 12:48:57 EST

I'm considering replacing my 1/2 square with a 1/4 wave vertical. The wires
keeping breaking in the storms. What I would like to know is if anyone is
using  Rohn 20/25 as an 80m vertical. I'm sure the physical size is shorter
because of  the large diameter. If you use a concrete base, that should make
virtually  insulated from ground. Another consideration is  lightning
You can disconnect the feed when not in use but would a  gap type arrestor
sufficient to drain static charges?say a 1/4'' one. Anyone  out there using
something similar?