Re: [TowerTalk] 160m inverted l

Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] 160m inverted l
From: "AB2E Darrell" <>
Date: Sat, 16 Dec 2006 20:12:25 -0500
Greetings OM,
I'm wondering if you used tuned radials?
I had a similar problem at my old QTH when I put up a 160m inverted L, prior to tuning the radials.
I used the formula found in the Butternut tech notes 240/freqMHz. I used insulated #12 wire for both the antenna and the tuned radials (the radials were just strung along a fence and not really raised, but just 3 of them worked well anyway).
73 Darrell AB2E

Subject: [TowerTalk] 160m inverted l
Date: Sat, 16 Dec 2006 18:01:18 -0500

After 2 weeks of testing I have found the following out about this antenna.

1. If you use #12 insulated wire and use the 246/Fmhz your antenna is too long.
2. If you cut the antenna for a good swr it will not resinate at the freq. you want it to.
3. you must match the equipment to the antenna impedence not the other way around.

Hope this helps somebody out. Email me if you want to know more about my findings.

View Athlete?s Collections with Live Search