Re: [TowerTalk] 80m 4-square materials

To: <donovanf@starpower.net>, <TOWERTALK@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] 80m 4-square materials
From: "Bob Maser" <bmaser@tampabay.rr.com>
Date: Sun, 17 Dec 2006 10:35:07 -0500
Consider using a linear loading arrangement at the bottom of each vertical.
This is what I did on my 4 square that I had in CA and it worked really
well. All 4 of my antennas were made from 3" irrigation tubing with the
bases at 8 feet off the ground.  I ran a length of AWG10 from the bottom, up
4 feet, across but not touching the tubing, and back down to the starting
point and connected to a insulator.  I then used a slider to adjust the
linear loading section.  My verticals came out to be 63' tall and I had them
resonant at 3800.  I did use Dacron rope at 2 levels going in 3 directions
but if I put up another 4 square with 3" irr. tubing I will only guy them at
the 35 foot level because I removed the top guys about 6 months before I
actually took the array down and  I had no problems, even with some strong
Santa Ana winds.  That tubing is strong stuff.

Bob  W6TR