[Top] [All Lists]

Re: [TowerTalk] Pictures of Soldering a PL-259 (UHF Male) at K3LR

To: "'Bill Turner'" <>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Pictures of Soldering a PL-259 (UHF Male) at K3LR
From: "W3YY - Bob" <>
Date: Tue, 19 Dec 2006 20:43:21 -0000
List-post: <>
Bill -

The PL-259 type connectors I described are not "crimp" type and that is
probably why you wound up following the wrong thread.  The connectors I was
describing are known as "clamp" type.  If you've ever assembled an N-series
connector, you know what I mean.  The braid is clamped to the outer shell as
the connector is assembled, without any crimping or deformation of the

I know of two such connectors.  One is available from The RF Connection (see
my earlier post with this info) and the other is built by RF Industries but
distributed by others.  I'm in touch with RF Industries to see who sells
their connectors in small quantities and and hope to post this info and
pictures of both connectors on my web site sometime during the next week.

73, Bob - W3YY

-----Original Message-----
[] On Behalf Of Bill Turner
Sent: Tuesday, December 19, 2006 6:16 PM
To: W3YY - Bob
Cc: 'TowerTalk'
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Pictures of Soldering a PL-259 (UHF Male) at K3LR


On Mon, 18 Dec 2006 00:42:06 -0000, "W3YY - Bob" <> wrote:

>As has been pointed out on this reflector, there are alternative 
>PL-259-Type connectors that assemble like N connectors, require no 
>soldering of the braid, and are easily reusable.  That's the only kind 
>I use anymore and they are great.  If you must use a regular PL-259, 
>then fine.  Otherwise, consider the alternatives.
>73, Bob - W3YY

------------ REPLY FOLLOWS ------------

I tried following the thread on crimp type PL-259s but the thread wandered
around so much I never did get a clear recommendation of sources for the
connectors and the crimp tool.

Could you or someone please list sources for both? I'd like to give them a


Bill, W6WRT

TowerTalk mailing list


TowerTalk mailing list

<Prev in Thread] Current Thread [Next in Thread>