Re: [TowerTalk] Radio Frequency Systems Cable

To: <TOWERTALK@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Radio Frequency Systems Cable
From: "K8RI on TowerTalk" <K8RI-on-TowerTalk@tm.net>
Date: Wed, 20 Dec 2006 18:07:42 -0500

> This has been done often in the past:
>
> put a transverter for your particular band AT the antenna and use
> cheaper coax to run to your HF rig.

I thought about that on 144 and 440 with the power amps and pre-amps. Then I
thought about how many times the tower gets hit by lightning per year. Then
I thought about how many times I'd probably have to repair said amps let
alone climb up to get them and climb back up to put them back in service. I
decided the coax was both easier and cheaper in the long run. However you
may not be quite the lightning target my system seems to be.

I'd really like to put one of my duo-band 144/440 colinear verticals right
on top, but I think that'd be pushing my luck as much as standing on top of
the tower using "sign language" during a heavy thunderstorm

N833R - World's oldest Debonair CD-2
www.rogerhalstead.com