[TowerTalk] Lightning: antenna selection, equip protection

To: towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: [TowerTalk] Lightning: antenna selection, equip protection
From: "Robert G. Strickland" <rcrgs@verizon.net>
Date: Fri, 22 Dec 2006 22:23:40 +0000
Hello all and season's greetings...

I am moving to the highest point in the county, a ridge line 1800ft up from
the surrounding valleys. I intend to install a high tower [60-100ft] with a
40m yagi over a tribander and a wire antenna system for the low bands. My
house will be more or less under the antenna system. My kids live across
the road, and they receive up to five direct lightning hits per month
during the summer. With the tower I can expect to become the "local
lightning rod" and will probably receive at least that number of hits and
probably more. This raises questions concerning antenna selection and site
protection.

Antenna: assuming the antenna/tower will be hit frequently, should I avoid
trap antennas and those with embedded electronics [eg SteppIR], or should
such antennas be okay for these conditions? Are there any antennas that are
knows for their lightning strike endurance?

Protection: allowing for all the lightning arresters, spark gaps, drains,
shunts, grounds, etc, all on feed lines and control cables, all entering
the house, all connected to the radio equipment, what's the general wisdom
on what I should install/do to keep things from being fried on a regular basis?

Thanks much.

...robert, KE2WY

Robert G. Strickland PhD ABPH - KE2WY
rcrgs@verizon.net.usa