Re: [TowerTalk] Help! Lots of Birds on Tower Problem !

To: <>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Help! Lots of Birds on Tower Problem !
From: "R. Kline" <>
Date: Fri, 22 Dec 2006 21:06:28 -0700
I had a similar problem at 4X4NJ and experimented with audio recordings
of birds of prey.  These were obtained from an ornithologist who worked
for the Israel Civil Aeronautics Administration at Ben-Gurion
International Airport. When I played the recordings through an outside
speaker, the birds would immediately leave.  I planned to obtain a good
outdoor speaker - perhaps a military unit from a surplus store, and
mount it up on the antenna mast.  Then, I could play the recordings when
needed - perhaps on a predetermined timed schedule, or even with some
sort of automated system that detects the birds and then plays the
recording. Before completing this project, I moved to a new QTH without
that problem.  So, in summary, birds are a major threat to aircraft, and
I recommend that you try to obtain recordings of birds of prey from
aviation sources (perhaps even through the USAF if you have the
contacts).  Good luck.
Tweet tweet,
K7NJ / 4X4NJ