Re: [TowerTalk] impedance meter recommendations pse

To: "Jim Lux" <>, <>,<>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] impedance meter recommendations pse
From: "Richard (Rick) Karlquist" <>
Date: Thu, 28 Dec 2006 08:24:13 -0800
Anyone interested in this topic should read the
recent QST article on the AIM-4170 antenna analyzer.
The article has a shoot out of this unit vs other
ham units and even an Agilent NA.  It is a true
vector analyzer with a narrowband receiver.  Most
other analyzers are scalar analyzers that use
the "3 voltmeter method" to determine phase angle
(which is why they can't determine sign) and use
a broadband detector, which is susceptable to BC
interference.  The N2PK design is similar, but you
have to homebrew it, AFAIK.

I have purchased one of these and am evaluating it.
I will report on it on the reflector after I have
some experience with it.

BTW, I work for Agilent and am currently designing a new
Agilent network analyzer, so I have more than a
casual interest in these units.

Rick N6RK