[TowerTalk] Floating Elevated Radials

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] Floating Elevated Radials
From: "Phil Clements" <philc@texascellnet.com>
Date: Fri, 29 Dec 2006 12:30:10 -0600

> Subject: Floating Elevated Radials
>

> >In transmitting systems elevated radials should never have a ground path.
> >Grounding elevated radials reduces efficiency.
>
> >If the house has a lot of noise and you receive on the transmitting
> antenna >you might not want to directly ground the antenna ground system
> to the >house. This is especially true with a small radial system.
>
> >73 Tom

 My elevated radials float, and are connected directly to the shield of the
 feed line. (7/8 inch Heliax.)

 When the other end of the Heliax is connected to the output of my amp, it
 is "grounded" to the "house" central grounding point because the chassis
 of the amp is strapped to it. Are you saying that the amp and transceiver
 should be isolated from "house" ground also? If so, just how much
 efficiency is gained?

 It has always been common practice to DC ground the radials of a ground
 plane antenna via the tower and its ground rod system, and by strapping
 the shield of the coax to the tower ground system at the base of the
 tower. Are you saying this method has less efficiency? If so how much
 less?

 (((73)))
 Phil Clements, K5PC