[TowerTalk] MA-550 Tilt-over strength limits

To: "'Towertalk'" <>
Subject: [TowerTalk] MA-550 Tilt-over strength limits
From: "Michael Hatzakis, Jr MD" <>
Date: Fri, 29 Dec 2006 16:17:53 -0800
I have a US Tower MA-550 with the tilt-over base.  I need to do some work on
it and usually use a ladder to support the tower while I have it cranked on
its side to support the weight while working on it.

Question is, how strong is the cable/base assembly to have the tower
supported on it's side for extended periods of time, ie., a day or so?   I
generally use a ladder to support the tower, but this time, I need the
ladder to repair a damaged element.

Obviously, it depends on the load and I have a 20 mast with a 6' overlap, so
there is about 12-14' of the mast extending above the MA-550 with a Steppir
1/3 of the way up and a 40m rotatable dipole on the top with a small 440
vertical.  Any concerns about this?  The tower is about 4 yrs old.

Michael  K3MH